Sunday, January 31, 2010

Capital travels


A couple of weeks ago I took a 2 day trip to Canberra with my Mum to catch the "Masterpieces from Paris" exhibition from the Musee D'Orsay gallery in Paris, at the National Gallery of Australia. The artworks were a collection from the Post-Impressionist period. We're talking Van Gough, Monet, Seurat, Toulouse-Lautrec. I especially like Van Gough's and Toulouse-Lautrec works- for their originality and beauty.

I haven't been to Paris (my dream destination- one day, one day...) so it was the first time I had seen these masterpieces. Boy, was I impressed. The exhibition was simply amazing. Inspiring. Breath-taking. The pieces captured an era of progression & experimentation in terms of the techniques used, and how subject matter was portrayed.


There is something so calming about losing yourself in an artwork that resonate with you for some reason or another. As cliche as it sounds, the more I expose myself to art- the greater I learn to appreciate it. Although I do like to note the more technical side of an artwork (brushstrokes, use of colour and tone etc), I believe that a good piece of art makes you feel something. It provides for each viewer to interpret the work with a personal, unique insight.











Mum and I in the lifesize "Bedroom in Arles" by Van Gough!

No comments:

Post a Comment