Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hippie hippie shake


The hippy era- a time of free love, protest and collective movements. But it was also a time when tie dye fashion reigned supreme. Loosely draped bright, psychadelic prints were the go, and comfort clothes was not a concept to be shunned at. But like trends for most eras, tie die fashions slipped into the periphery...




Until now. Yes- tie die is back. Well, at least I think it will be! According to the runways, fashion editors and my own observations, tie die is the next big trend. And it's going to go off.







(Title image- Stella McCartney dégradé skinny jean, $355, available at www.net-a-porter.com, Images 1-2: William Tempest F/W 2009, Images 3-5 Costume National Resort 2010, Images 6-7 Beradi)

Chainstores have even started to get in on the trend- as can be seen with Sportsgirl's newest collection One le Blue:




I have to admit last year I probably couldn't imagine wearing tie dye (although I do remember wearing it for a period as a kid), but now I'm warming to the trend. I think if the dying is executed well- and it doesn't look like a 8 year old kid made it- it can be a very fresh look. I think the key to wearing this trend will be to balance tie dye piece with a neutral item/s. It definately has the potential to bring a bit of vivaciousness into the fashion scene, which will be especially welcome after the dull and sombre colours we often pull out in winter.

5 comments:

  1. one sunny day in surry...
    "i like that scarf!"
    "mm that is SO nice"
    "I think tie die is coming back"
    "yeah DEFINITLY"


    pioneers.
    love the blogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool. i like the leggings with batic

    ReplyDelete
  3. really great. and i like the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously need to get tie dye leggings... or make some!!

    XO
    http://stylecrumbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete